Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sleep Chic

What do you wear to bed? Are you a negligee kind of woman? Perhaps a tap-pants-and-cami chick? A bustier-with-lacy-thong lady?

Or a plaid-pajama-pants-and-old-college-tee mommy?

I mean, I probably went topless most of the time for my daughter's first three months of life. If I did have a shirt on, only one button was fastened. My boobs were in such demand that it made the most sense to have easy access. Sorry, UPS dude. Didn't mean to scare ya. If the hubby was turned on, he had sense enough not to show it.

Now I can be as demure as I like. Or not. But since the Tiny Daughter is my alarm clock every morning, I don't get to go straight from the bed into the shower. I'm making breakfast, changing diapers, bathing (her, that is) and playing. On a good day, there may be exercise. I'm lucky if I get to clean up within the first ninety minutes that I'm awake. Therefore, flimsy, lacy items are impractical, as they cannot hold their own against the onslaught of banana, bathwater and baby kisses. A bit of the problem is also modesty. Yes, Tiny Daughter is too little to question why Mommy's tush is hanging out of her jammie shorts, but the day would come eventually, and it's a conversation I don't want to have.

What do I wear to bed?


  • a set of hospital scrubs I bought when I was 20
  • striped pajama pants and one of my workout tees
  • "I Love Lucy"-esque black and white polka-dotted cropped pants and matching button down top, purchased for easy nighttime nursing access
  • saggy yoga pants and maternity tank top


I think I need a sleepwear revolution. The problem is finding cute, comfy pjs that combine style and a certain degree of modesty. Let's hit the internet! I'm open to suggestions!


Okay, I just checked out Victoria's Secret. Why do all the models look like they are wearing bras under their pjs?



1 comment:

  1. um...yeah I'm for sure the old college t-shirt kind of girl. but as I haven't been in college for *many* years the t-shirt has seen better days. I mean there almost isn't a t-shirt anymore as the upper back of it has holes all over it...but goddamn it it's so comfortable.

    I did get a pj set at victorias last christmas and I really liked them. They were like long underwear and red stripped. I looked like a Dr. Seuss character. But they were a good purchase I think.

    ReplyDelete